Friday, October 12, 2007

Remembering Eliza


We remember our baby Eliza today, on her heavenly birthday. It has been 9 years since we held our precious girl. Yet almost daily we feel her influence in our lives. Her life (and death) provide us with perspective that perhaps we could not have obtained in any other way. When Eliza stopped living, I felt like a large part of me died with her. With the perspective of years, I now feel that knowing her greatly enriches my life.

Helen Keller taught, “The marvelous richness of human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome. The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse.”

Recently we placed a wreath upon Eliza’s grave. And while at the cemetery Ella scolded us (with her wise beyond years wisdom) for calling it a “grave”. She remarked: “It is not her grave, it is a door!” Perhaps it is a door: and God comes into our lives through the struggles and the triumphs of life. God comes through that door in the blessings and in the celebrations, and also in the moments of sadness and weakness. I turn today to God--with great thanks for the joys of life--foremost being my husband and daughters and the great love we share.

4 comments:

amber said...

Emi,
Thank you for being such a good example of being grateful for all things-the good and the bad.
You and Steve are such great examples of resiliency and appreciating the hard things in life. Your family strengthens so many.
Cute little Ella calling it a door...so appropriate! Much love to you today.

Jessica said...

You are such an amazing example to me and to so many. What would we do without the friendship and example of the Edgleys? Thinking of you and your family on this special day.

Lauren said...

Oh Emi! I love your words. Thank you for being such a dear friend, even with all the miles that are between us. You and your family are such an inspiration to me. Thinking of you...

Lauren

Dan Liljenquist said...

Wow Emi, I can't believe I missed that post. So profound- that God comes into our lives through doors of trial or affliction. I love that thought and we all love you!

-Brooke