Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Our Little Secret...

A little known secret that I freely share with my blogging friends:

Saturday, Steve and I undertook the task of finding a new home for our Christmas tree out in the garage. My organizational spirit got the best of me, and soon I was shifting, sorting and tossing the contents of that great outdoor room.

Soon, I found an area filled with small black dirt clumps, which were quickly swept and tossed. After many of these areas, I was really on the move to help our detached garage become more hospitable.

I then found a once-full bag of grass seed, that had been recently emptied through a small hole. The seeds were removed from the hull, and strewn around. It was then that I realized I was not dealing with piles of dirt -- but rather what suddenly seemed to be massive amounts very hungry rodents, with great amounts of feces.

Unknowingly, we have created a very hospitable home for our furry friends. They've been throwing parties...

Since then, my mind has been racing (usually in the 3 a.m. hour) with images from "Ratatouille". I scrub harder than ever in the shower, in hopes of fending off any remnants of hantavirus on my skin. And I'm trying to determine if poison or traps (or both) will be an effective deterrent.

Anyone out there an expert on rodent evacuation? Or on determining the different markers of mice vs. rats? I'm becoming more knowledgeable than I ever wanted to be...
And it turns out, we're harboring mice.


P.S. For a good laugh, follow this link to my blogging friend Kelly's own adventures with mice here.

3 comments:

kelly said...

I may call PETA and tell them of your plans to destroy one of earths most precious creatures.
Or that crazy Edna woman. I could call her.

But really... they are kind of cute, aren't they? Not their droppings, but their ears and faces.

Rueckert Family said...

NASTY! I got the chills reading your post- I have no tolerance for rodents (except for Lulu, our pet guinea pig who we keep locked up tight in a cage in the basement).
I must thank you for the feces illustrations. I'm sure they'll come in handy one day.

Lauren said...

Oh Emi! I love the emphasis on the "detached" garage! :) I bet you're happy of that! I remember seeing a little mouse that lived in our retaining wall (when we lived up the street from you). I didn't worry about it at the time, but I only saw one. Since I represent Julia (and share many of the same emotions)...isn't there some "mouse catcher" around there who will catch & release the little guys "in the wild"? What do you think? :)