A few weeks ago, we attended as a family the baptism of four of Ella's older friends. At that time, Ella asked the Bishop how she could best prepare for her own baptism in just five short months. To that, the Bishop responded, "Go to church and learn from your teachers. Have Family Home Evening, and learn from your parents. Pray often. Read the scriptures."
Ella took his advice to heart, and asked me if we could begin reading the Book of Mormon together. We began immediately and have been quite consistent (which is not my strong suite). There have been just a few nights that felt too short to fit in our scriptures, and on those nights, when I sent Ella to bed, she later would appear (sometimes hours later) and say, "Sleep won't come until we read the Book of Mormon!"
Sometimes we read a whole chapter, sometimes just a few verses. I cherish the time with Ella, but mostly cherish her insights. Each night, I ask Ella what she has learned, and she quickly responds with a comment that teaches me. I write these comments at the top of the page.
Following are some of the lessons learned:
* If God tells you to do something, you should obey.
* You should not let things like silver and gold stop you from going to God.
* Life is good when your heart is soft. Life is hard when your heart is hard.
* Records are more important than items.
* You don't always get what you want immediately.
* You shouldn't do mean things.
* God is stronger!
* Do what the Lord tells you, no matter what. Follow your feelings.
* Nephi gets strength from all the hard things he does. The Lord will help you in any good thing you do.
* Do what is right and everything will be okay.
* You should marry.
* I can be very strong in faith like Nephi. I can be like the daughter of Ishmael that saved Nephi's life.
* If you do what is right and people make fun of you, don't listen! Because you know what is right.
* God has the power! He uses his power to bless us.
* God gives prophets a signal of the future. Lehi knew that Jesus was going to be born and he would be a Savior and a Redeemer.
* Jesus died and then rose from the dead. That is just what will happen to us too.
* You should know that God is the most desirable thing. I can learn about God by praying and by receiving answers.
* Jesus represents the Love of God.
* Angels are very powerful because of their spirits.
* Jesus is the Lamb of God. He was the Son of God. He died on the cross for our sins. I think being forgiven should be called being "re-given" because you're getting something back for a second time. It's like you don't have to live with hard things.
* Don't take sight of temptations.
* God doesn't care if your're wearing beautiful clothes. He cares about how you act.
* If you're bad, you may have some power but not as much as if you're good. You get the power of the Lord if you're good.
* Things can be restored. Like the Gospel.
* If you make covenants with the Lord, He will bless you with gifts of the spirit.
* Having children blesses the whole family and the whole earth.
* The kingdom of God is the best place you could ever imagine.
* Heavenly Father helps me.
* The things that are in the Book of Mormon are true.