Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Motherhood as an
Opportunity to "See Beyond"

On Friday, February 18th I had the opportunity to visit the Utah State Capitol and meet with Utah's Governor, Gary R. Herbert. There, he presented me as "2011 Young Mother" representing American Mothers (americanmothers.org) in the state of Utah.


Governor Herbert spoke profoundly of motherhood as an opportunity to "see beyond" -- as a way to see beyond present circumstances, beyond our own lives into the future.

The event was held in the State Reception Room, also known as the Gold Room. The Governor told us that this room was created to honor motherhood and Utah's mothers -- the jewels of our state. The ceiling is adorned with a beautiful mural "Children at Play,” by Lewis Shettle.




Louisa and Ella both had the opportunity
to introduce themselves to Governor Herbert.

Just after this picture was taken, I waved my parents and my mother and father-in-law over to be in a picture with us. As I did so, I accidentally hit Louisa - hard - in the face. She immediately started to cry and I thought, "How appropriate! Here I am being honored as a mother: I've just hit my child, she is crying and pictures are being taken by a professional photographer."

No comments: