Monday, April 18, 2011

More Than the Ultimate Hero


I was away the majority of the weekend (at an amazing motherhood retreat for Power of Moms). Sunday morning, I realized that Ella had been assigned to speak in church among the children. I was relieved when Ella let me know that we didn't need to throw a message together. She had - by herself - written her talk.

Her words:

"The topic that I have been asked to speak on is how Jesue is my Savior and Redeemer. The first thing that comes to my mind is that all that Jesus did takes love to the extreme.

I recently learned a very detailed description of the Atonement and I really truly can't imagine how hard it would be to do all that Jesus did. Even when I think about the Atonement, I feel very overwhelmed. Jesus' sacrifice is so crucial to the plan of salvation. Jesus sacrificed more than all he had so that we could return to Him. Jesus is more than the ultimate hero."

Ella's depth of appreciation and conviction for what Jesus was willing to suffer amazes me. Hearing her speak - and the power behind her words - reinforces for me the depth of knowledge that has come to her as a result of daily, consistent scripture study coupled with childlike faith and belief.

What a wonderful message for me to internalize on Palm Sunday and throughout the week preceeding Easter! I have so much to learn from my daughter.

3 comments:

Cath said...

Stunning thoughts from Ella. Sweet story. And I'm SO glad you went to the Power of Moms retreat. Aren't those women amazing? You would have much to add Emi. Have a wonderful week.

Melanie said...

I am a new reader to your sweet blog. I do hope you don't mind. I find you very inspirational and refreshing. Thank you for all the messages. I am a new mum and look to those who have been through a few seasons of motherhood for hope and encouragement. I also love to read parenting books and books written by and for mothers. Maybe some day you will write your own?

I wondered if you could share with me some good reads on mothering or parenting. I desire to be a great mother just like you (and yours) some day. I have a lot of work to do!

My e-mail is melaniejonesfulton@gmail.com

Thanks again

April Perry said...

Beautiful post! It was wonderful to meet you, Emi. And I didn't know that you know Catherine Arveseth! I feel so blessed to know such wonderful people.