Thursday, May 19, 2011

Favorite Book: The Golden Rule


In this pages of this beautifully illustrated book, an age-old lesson is taught.  And the teaching occurs just as most important lessons are learned: within the context of an everyday, ordinary interaction. 

In The Golden Rule (written by Ilene Cooper and illustrated by Gabi Swiatowska) a grandfather explains to his grandson that the Golden Rule means you "treat people the way you would like to be treated."  

The grandfather goes on to explain that the Golden Rule is an underlying moral principle found in almost every world religion and culture.  

The simple wording in this book ennumerates both the far-reaching effects of living the Golden Rule, as well as the fact that this all starts with us.  "I wonder how things would change if everyone lived by the Golden Rule," says the grandfather. "I think people would be nicer," says the boy. "Kinder."

Our favorite line from The Golden Rule reads: "It's golden because it is valuable, and a way of living your life that's so simple, it shines."

4 comments:

Liesl said...

I'll have to get this book to read with my children. Our favorite CD right now is My Turn on Earth and we love "The Golden Rule" song. :)

Sara Dee said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Teaching Charity has been my focus right now with my kids. I'm so happy I met you and found your blog. I love people who inspire. You inspire me.

Kristin said...

I look forward to reading this book to my daughter. Thanks for sharing it. I taught 2nd grade for 4 years and 1st grade for one and I keep a running list of picture books to share with my daughter. I LOVE children's books. We try to go to the library at least every other week and love our snuggle time at night when we read bed time stories. :)

valerie said...

I ordered the book and received it today. Thank you for the suggestion and please recommend more!