Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Power of Moms:
Creating a Family Culture that is Stronger than Media Culture

I have had two experiences recently that have reaffirmed to me the power of motherhood in general, and specifically how that power is tangible when women physically gather together to share wisdom and personal experiences.

Just this past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend the National Convention of American Mothers, which was held here in my hometown of Salt Lake City! I look forward to writing more about my experiences and the wonderful women I met! (The American Mothers Convention was an uplifting event and does deserve it's own blog post!).

A few weeks prior, I was a participant in a remarkable Power of Moms Park City retreat.
Look at this beautiful, powerful group of women!

I attended both the Friday night "Mind Organization for Moms" event as well as Saturday's events, which were broken into two sections: 1) Taking Care of the Person inside the Mom and 2) Creating Family Systems that Work.

I came away asking myself the following questions (and yes, for the most part, I am still searching for answers that ring true for me and my family):

* What do I need in order to thrive in my role as a mom?
* How can I develop talents innate in me within the life that I currently have?
* Do I prioritize what is most important to me?
* What do I need to do to feel physically able to do the work of being a mom?
* What am I doing to nurture my spirit?
* What am I doing to expand my mind?
* How much time do I spend wanting to change the life that I live rather than cherishing and being grateful for what I have been given?
* Do I replace negative thinking with positive reinforcement?
* When I encounter trials, what is my response? Or as a new friend stated: "Have I grown, or do I groan?" (My answer: usually a double "yes!").
* What can I do today so that I will go to bed feeling content and I will be excited tomorrow to start a new day?

I loved that Power of Moms retreat covered in detail how to create family systems that work. Detailed information was given on how to discipline and how to raise responsible children who grow to be contributing adults. Specific strategies were shared on how to create a family identity and culture. I also loved the Power of Moms focus on institutionalizing the family with formalized traditions!

I left the Power of Moms retreat with the takeaway goal (and the tools) to create an Edgley family culture that is stronger than peer culture or the media culture. I came away with new friends, greater knowledge and renewed vision on how I can better my family through powerful, deliberate mothering.

If you are interested in registering for the May 20th and 21st Park City retreat, click here.

6 comments:

Chantol said...

I highly agree with your post. I loved the part about waking up excited and going to bed content! Thanks for posting! And again, it was so great to meet you! You have an adorable family!

Chantol said...

I highly agree with your post. I loved the part about waking up excited and going to bed content! Thanks for posting! And again, it was so great to meet you! You have an adorable family!

shawni said...

Love this Emi! I need to re-read my notes and I sure wish I could be there to hear YOU present this month!! Love, Shawni

Tiffany said...

Beautiful sentiments! I loved the opportunity to meet so many wonderful mothers. It warms my heart to know that there are so many mothers out there who really want to do the very best they can in their small corner of the world. If only we could reach EVERYONE!

Kristine said...

Emi, you have written some pretty thought-provoking questions here. Thanks for sharing them. I am still savoring the time spent at the retreat and will be for a long, long time! You are speaking? Oh, I'm sad to miss that. What a treat!

Naomi said...

Love this post. I so wish I could attend a Power Of Moms event. I am hoping we can have one is Australia next year - all going well. N x